Uganda Orthodox Medical Bureau is a faith based organisation founded in 2008 and is seeking to fill the following positions:
- HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR
The Human Resources Advisor is responsible for delivering the components of recruitment in UOMB ensuring that the best possible talent is hired and performance and probationary appraisal of UOMB staff. S/he supports the creation of a healthy working environment through efficient performance management, open management policies, information sharing etc.
- Participate in HR planning and budgeting
- Provide key reports – HR reports and Business KPIs
2. Recruitment, Selection & Induction:
- Develop Recruitment, Selection and Induction procedures.
- Coach managers and provide ongoing support.
- Manage direct recruitment as required by hiring managers and partner with managers in challenging vacancies. eg. highly specialized or regional skill shortages etc
- Ensure Employment Agreements are compliant and suit business needs
- Develop and maintain currency of Employee Handbook.
- New starter’s documentation
- Maintain personnel files and database
- Liaise with Payroll to track staff movements within business and changes of terms and conditions of employment.
- Remuneration and Benefits:
- Maintain database of remuneration for all staff
- Benchmark remuneration plans against salary survey
- Liaise with Payroll
- Employee Relations
- Partner with managers on providing advice on all employment relations matters and in facilitating redundancies and terminations
- Ensure all documentation is legally compliant and best practice
- Coach and assist managers in performance management processes
- Maintain Employment Agreements and Position descriptions for all staff Interpret
- Award entitlements terms and conditions in changing workplace relations environment.
- Learning and Development
- Manage the Induction programme
- Assist with Training Needs Analyses, development of Training Plans and Directories and maintain training records (when required)
- Source and facilitate external training and roll out internal training on bureau policies/procedures and legal compliance
- Deliver internal courses as required including Induction presentations.
- Workers compensation
- Administration of workers compensation claims and Return to Work.
- Co-ordination of Injured workers in rehabilitation phase.
- Conducting job evaluations
- Advising managerson recruitment and selection strategies
- Coordinating the appointment process for successful applicants
- Negotiating terms and conditions of employment with staff
- Providing advice and playing a major role in work reviews and change processes
- Updating and maintaining the HR Information System data
- Write and present information briefings on a range of HR related topics
- Advising on staff development
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of HR systems and practices
- Consulting on issues related to workplace relations and performance management
- Providing advice and assistance on policies, procedures, legislation, and enterprise agreements.
The Human Resource Advisor should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Knowledge of relevant HR policies and procedures
- Knowledge of the best practice on recruitment and selection
- Experience in interpreting, advising and implementing such agreements and procedures
- Ability to use a HR information system including, accessing, in-putting, and compiling data
- The verbal communication skills to communicate with a diverse client group
- The written communication skills to produce succinct correspondence and reports
- The ability to research, analyse and reason logically within tight and conflicting timeframes
- Experience in leading and working effectively in teams
- Experience in supervising staff and assuming responsibility for workload allocation
- Ability to identify development needs
- A commitment to providing customer service
- Ability to write and present information
- Experience in providing advice and support to senior managers on strategic matters
- Experience in leading projects and implementing new initiatives.
- Must have experience in developing and conducting training.
- Must be confident and have the ability to coach others and share knowledge and learnings.
- Must have commercial acumen and sound HR generalist knowledge.
Required experience and skills
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management
- Masters degree will be an added advantage.
- Required minimum experience of 3-5 years
- Generalist background with broad knowledge of the human resources functions.
- Able to work successfully and productively in a team environment or independently and deal with multi-tasks effectively.
- Strong ability to perform well in a high pressure and complex environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to envision and deliver innovative solutions.
- English fluency and strong administrative, organizational, and written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with culturally diverse staff, clients and consultants environment.
- Advanced computer skills in word processing, database, presentation, organizational chart and spreadsheet applications; Microsoft Office preferred, along with ability to learn new software packages.
- Two referees
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION ADVISOR
The M&E Advisor works with the Executive Secretary and the Technical Advisors to ensure the development and implementation of the performance management plan (PMP) as well as program indicators necessary to track UOMB targets and objectives. S/he also supports the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other relevant stakeholders to establish adequate national supply chain indicators and works with the Technical Advisors to ensure that developed information system tools adequately capture these indicators. S/he oversees the tracking, analysis, interpretation and utilization of all bureau data. S/he assists in the compilation of UOMB quarterly and annual reports. The M&E Advisor analyzes data, undertakes statistical analysis and helps ensure evidence based communication, learning and adaptation of strategies and approaches. The M&E Advisor must be well acquainted and must have hands on experience with M&E procedures and practices and have knowledge and experience of logistics and supply chain management. The M&E Advisor will provide technical support in the design and implementation of impact assessments in regard to pharmaceuticals and supply chain management interventions in a participatory and inclusive manner. In carrying out these responsibilities, s/he establishes, nurtures, and maintains strong working relationships with a wide range of players with varied perspectives.
- Provide technical leadership in the review and execution of the bureau performance management plan (PMP) including compilation and updating indicator sheets to enhance data collection, storage and use.
- Work with the various stakeholder M&E Specialists in setting up their M&E systems and implementing them.
- Provide expertise to acquire, manage, and analyze data in support of ad-hoc requests and standard reporting requirements.
- Responsible for planning and implementation of M&E related capacity building activities including review of training materials, coordinating M&E trainings and supervision of consultants.
- Leading the data quality assurance role for the project including implementation of data quality assessments to ensure accurate and consistent data collection.
- Prepare M&E related reports and contribute to quarterly and annual reporting as relevant.
- Ensure timely and quality completion of all M&E deliverables.
- Review of periodic reports compiled by M&E staff.
- Provide technical support in the design, implementation, collection and analysis of data for operations research studies and pilot studies conducted by the bureau.
- Contribute to writing of journal articles for operations research studies conducted by the bureau.
- Provide support in statistical analysis including evaluations related to bureau interventions and supervise related consultants.
- Contribute to the development of the annual work plan, ensuring alignment with UOMB strategy, agreement on annual targets and inclusion of M&E activities in the work plan.
- Participate in monthly review of the bureau work plan.
- Provide support during project evaluations and follow up on implementation of evaluation recommendations.
- Supervise and monitor performance of staff working in M&E department.
- Identify and support M&E staff capacity development needs.
- Participate in regular meetings of the bureau management team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The M&E/Quality Advisor should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Experience in data collection, statistical analysis, quantitative and qualitative research, and dissemination of results.
- Experience in designing survey and research tools, and organizing and delivering training workshops.
- Strong technical skills in data management, M&E, surveillance, mapping, and assessment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a team.
- Ability to develop a good working relationship with local organizations, other program partners and counterparts.
- Ability to lead the design and implementation of M&E systems and approaches.
- Knowledge of Results Based Management concepts and tools.
- Experience in data collection, analysis, and management (including relevant softwares).
- Developing data capture templates using applications such as CSpro, Epidata and EpiInfo
- Microsoft Office Suite applications and statistical packages such as STATA.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, Master’s degree being an added advantage.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in health sector / systems monitoring and evaluation, statistical analysis, research and documentation.
- Familiarity with supply chain concepts.
- Extensive hands on experience with M&E procedures and practices, and reporting requirements.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced teamwork environment to meet required deadlines.
- Demonstrated effective leadership and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellent English language skills (both written and oral) with the ability to make presentations and effectively write/edit reports.
- Capacity building/training experience a plus.
- Two referees.
- FINANCE ADVISOR
The Finance Advisor ensures the timely and effective implementation of all operational activities in support of UOMB. S/he oversees budget preparation and monitoring; financial management and reporting; accounting; procurement; transportation and any other administrative and operational functions of the bureau. Her/his responsibilities extend to the oversight of all partners and sub grantees under the Bureau.
The FA safeguards the assets (financial and physical) of UOMB and other donors against fraud, loss or misuse. S/he ensures that field expenses meet with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, UOMB policy, and any cost principles imposed by the donor. S/he must demonstrate the ability to use sound business judgment, in consultation with the ES, in assuring that all costs are reasonable and necessary for the completion of the UOMB goals
- Maintain and/or oversee the maintenance of accurate, comprehensive, and up to date financial records using approved accounting/bookkeeping software.
- Prepare and or supervise the timely and complete preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports in accordance with UOMB policies and guidelines.
- Maintain regular communications with all members of UOMB and ensure that timely and complete financial support is provided.
- Transfer and disburse funds expeditiously, including issuing checks and vouchers, to fulfill obligations incurred by UOMB within the guidelines of the bureau and finance and administration policy.
- Develop procedures and programs for monitoring and analyzing program budgets, which allow accurate projection of expenditures and comparisons of actual and budgeted spending.
- Exercise independent discretion and judgment in continually exploring opportunities for cost-cutting, cost-sharing and rational use of the bureau’s resources, and advise the ES accordingly.
- Prepare and manage the bureau’s budget and pipeline expenditures. Estimate upcoming cash needs and accrue expenditures as appropriate.
- Prepare a monthly request for funds, based on cash flow projections, to ensure the bureau has all necessary funds for operations.
- In consultation with the ES, approve all purchases as per established authorization levels, and maintain tracking and documentation systems that will facilitate future processing, payment and audit requirements.
- Develop and implement regulations and procedures for local purchase, procurement and logistics management.
- Provide financial oversight for financial and contractual mechanisms related to technical assistance activities to meet UOMB’s management reporting requirements and facilitate the successful implementation of the bureau.
- Provide an audit interface between UOMB Corporate Accounting, external audit firms and donor auditors.
- Maintain current standing with all mandated tax and registrations, including submission of payments and reports required.
- Take overall responsibility for advance monitoring, control and retirement. Manage reconciliation of all activities in the bureau. Track aging advances, and summarizes them for inclusion in the Field Accounts.
- Process local payroll and benefits, including transferring of staff salary into individual bank accounts.
- Prepare payroll and track staff benefits and allowances (accrual of leave, pension plan, medical benefits, housing, transportation, meals allowances and miscellaneous allowance) etc.
- Manage pension plan by liaising with UOMB insurance company on staff benefits issues, including group life assurance, group personal accident insurance, implementing a pension scheme for regular payment of employee/employer pension contributions, and maintaining a filing system for all matters relating to pensions and other insurance benefits.
- Obtain proper and prior authorization and approval for all local costs.
- Masters/Postgraduate in accounting and Finance /or business management, or equivalent certification from an accredited higher educational institution with 3-5 years experience, ACCA or CPA being an added advantage.
- Demonstrated accounting, budgeting, reporting, and financial analysis experience.
- Understanding of key aspects of accounting, including the creation and interpretation of standard financial reports (balance sheet, income statement, cash flow), and creation of journal entries.
- Financial management experience of large international organisations.
- Full understanding of the basic tenets of cash control, asset management and bank reconciliation.
- Full understanding of audit principles, and of the performance necessary to ensure audit compliance.
- Unimpeachable integrity and mature judgment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a culturally diverse staff, clients, and consultants.
- Demonstrated computer skills in spreadsheet, database, word processing, and web-based applications; Microsoft Office preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strategies, policy standards, protocols and guidelines.
- Recognition as a leader in the field of health systems strengthening, and health finance/health economics.
- Deep understanding of costing in health programs/facilities, value for money, and results-based financing.
- Knowledge and experience working on both demand and supply side health financing initiatives, ranging from private sector contracting, performance incentives and cost effectiveness, to community based health insurance, and demand side voucher schemes;
- Familiarity with global health financing mechanisms and universal health coverage;
- Ability to develop working relationships with counterparts in other agencies / organizations.
- Experience working in a multi-stakeholder consortium.
- Strong analytical skills and technical proficiency with MS Excel and Power point, and statistical software (including SPSS, SAS, Stata or R).
- Strong English language skills, especially good oral and written communication skills.
Provides financial information to management by researching and analyzing accounting data and preparing reports. Prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries by compiling and analyzing account information. Documents financial transactions by entering account information. Recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options.
- Provide a high level of professionalism reflected in a sound budgetary policy.
- Ensure financial and other reporting systems are maintained to the standards required by users.
- Prepare annual budget and forecasts aligned to strategic plans and in accordance with guidelines provided by the bureau.
- Provide full accounting services to the directors including financial analysis and exploring any potential problems with them in order to make appropriate budgeting and control systems.
- Provide accounting services for use by directors in planning and controlling the work of the bureau including financial accounting, management accounting, forecasting, and budgeting and control systems.
- Ensure the production of accurate monthly management accounts.
- Produce rolling cash flow forecasts, monitor cash position daily and ensure debtors and creditors terms are met.
- Prepare annual accounts for consideration by the board.
- Undertake such other financial analysis and reporting as requested by the management teams.
- Plan and manage the bureau’s tax liabilities under existing and proposed legislation. Evaluate the tax liability impact of contemplated courses of action, minimise the tax burden and deal with tax authorities.
- Advise the Leadership team on major financial issues as they arise.
- Contribute to the bureau’s Risk management strategic policy and procedures.
- Keep abreast of financial, tax and corporate governance developments across departments from professional advisors and bodies as well as by liaising with other Financial Directors in other health sectors.
- Issue payments to staffs or refunds where necessary
- Any other tasks as assigned from time to time.
- Manage and maintain the financial accounting systems of the bureau.
- Manage and maintain the financial accounts of the bureau.
- Manage and maintain fixed asset and depreciation records.
- Produce monthly financial reports for the bureau’s management as required.
- Assist the bureau as necessary in the processing of donations and database management.
Qualifications and skills
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Finance or any other relevant field of study with 3-5 years experience in NGOs and Church based organisation, CPA as an added advantage and proficiency in accounting software packages.
- Corporate Finance
- Reporting Skills,
- Attention to Detail
- Reporting Research Results
- Time Management
- Data Entry Management
- General Math Skills
- ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing Front Desk, switchboard and clerical support to the various projects at the Bureau so that a good image is portrayed to all Bureau guests and to ensure a smooth work flow within the administrative unit.
- Attend to all incoming and outgoing calls and ensure that all phone bills are appropriately charged to the different cost centers
- Attend to all guests who come to the bureau.
- Ensure that the front office is clean and orderly
- Receive and route all incoming correspondences to the relevant offices
- Assist in coordinating the Bureau driver and hired vehicles especially for town running
- Coordinate and handle documents for courier
- Keep and manage boardroom roaster for internal meeting bookings and arrange for other logistics where necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Responsible for Bureau Assets and Estates management
- Minimum of a Bachelors in Secretarial Studies, Business Administration or equivalent
- At least 3-5 years experience working in a busy environment
- Demonstrated ability multi-task
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team-oriented environment.
- Knowledge of filing systems.
- Two referees
The Driver provides reliable and safe driving services to bureau staff and visitors, and delivery of assigned cargo. The position is primarily responsible for, but not limited to, driving assigned vehicles, safe transport of authorized personnel, delivery and collection of documents and cargo, and working knowledge of vehicle security. He ensures the highest standards of discretion and overall safety and well-being of passengers, demonstrating courtesy and confidentiality.
- Ensure provision of reliable and safe driving for bureau staff, officials and visitors and safe delivery and collection of mail, documents or any other cargo.
- Ensure that the vehicle is kept clean and tidy.
- Fill out a vehicle daily log sheet and carry out daily and weekly maintenance checks on the vehicle.
- Ensure safety and well-being of passengers at all times, and passengers comply with UOMB policy and local requirements, as appropriate.
- Comply fully with UOMB procedures on the reporting of accidents involving UOMB vehicles.
- Report any damage, mechanical faults or mishaps that may occur to the vehicle to the supervisor.
- Ensure that the vehicle is parked safely at all times.
- Ensure availability of all required documents including, Proof of ownership, Valid driving license, vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, emergency phone contacts, UOMB Security SOPs, first aid kit and spare parts.
- Provide timely, cost effective, and high quality support and service to all UOMB facilities and activities.
- Ensure actions are governed by the highest standards of personal and business conduct as stipulated in policy guidelines.
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity
- Support bureau teams in undertaking other tasks such as registering workshop participants, distribution of items to health facilities and partners and other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- A minimum of an O level of education or its equivalent
- Valid clean computerized driving license with at least 10 years’ driving experience
- Should have B, CM, and DL driving classes.
- Knowledge of Uganda Road Laws.
- Training in defensive driving.
- Knowledge of basic mechanics.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills; good command of English.
- Two referees.
All interested candidates should hand deliver their applications (An updated Curriculum Vita, certified copies of academic documents and two letters of referees) by 14th April 2017 to the address below:
The Executive Secretary(Uganda Orthodox Medical Bureau)
(Secretariate is located in Namungoona near Holy Cross Orthodox Mission Hospital)