On September 29th 2018, the first planning meeting by the Project Management Unit / Team (PMU) aimed at introducing the Health and Nutrition project was convened at Archangel Michael Orthodox secondary School – Gulu. The relevance for this project arose due to the need to improve on the devastated health and nutrition conditions at the School yet it provides education to a relatively high number of children in the area girls being the majority.
The Major Partners of this significant project in this famine and war devastated area include; International Orthodox Christian Charities – IOCC, Uganda Orthodox Church – UOC, Uganda Orthodox Medical Bureau – UOMB and Archangel Michael Orthodox Secondary School Gulu.
This 6 months project is to operate at the Archangel Michael School focusing on health of the female students and the community at large.
The goals of the project include;
• To improve school girls attendance by 90%
• To improve nutrition knowledge and diet of the Archangel Michael school.
The project is based on three major objectives which include;
• To build girls confidence through tailored health education and better menstrual hygiene management
• To equip girls with knowledge and skills on making and wide utilization of washable (Re-usable sanitary Pads)
• To improve students diet through nutrition awareness and establishing a vegetable garden.
During the meeting, the team discussed the tentative work plan for the achievement of the set goals and objectives. The Project Management Unite – PMU will oversee the successful implementation and continuity of this instrumental project to the School and the community at large for sustainable health improvement.